More than 75 years ago a group of caring Lebanon County residents incorporated, defined a mission, and charted a course for the Humane Society that has remained true and constant since 1939.
- 1939: The Humane Society of Lebanon County is chartered.
- 1940’s: The Humane Society originates from humble beginnings as a converted chicken coop on North 9th Street in Lebanon.
- 1950’s: An inaugural capital campaign is launched and “real shelter” is established on donated land on East Lehman Street. After only two years, neighbors’ complaints force the shelter to close, but proceeds from its sale make the purchase of the current Ramona Road property possible. Another vigorous fundraising campaign funds construction of the small building that still stands today beside the current shelter. This building served as the animal shelter for more than 20 years and has now been remodeled into our spay/neuter clinic and medical building.
- 1970’s: The shelter struggles with overcrowding resulting from increased cases of neglect and abuse and an influx of unwanted and abandoned animals. A third capital campaign is launched, and the shelter renovations are completed in 1972.
- 2000’s: Tired and worn after 40 years and more than 100,000 animal guests, a fourth campaign is initiated in 2010 to update the shelter. Phase I of the renovations saw two brand new wings of dog kennels built onto the existing structure. The new kennels are completed in 2012.
- 2014: Phase II of the capital campaign, a complete renovation of the cattery and main shelter building, is completed in 2014. These most recent renovations were designed to improve the health and happiness of our animal guests, while also making the shelter more appealing to the humans that we serve. The completion of Phase II provided us with “Meet and Greet” rooms for both cats and dogs, a new ventilation system for our cat adoption room, a fully equipped exam room, and a Community Learning Center.
- 2016: The Humane Society of Lebanon continues to expand its programs and services offered to the community while remaining dedicated to providing exceptional comprehensive care to the animals residing in our shelter.